Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Back on the Ship! :)

Happy New year everyone! Wow, I can't believe it is 2011. And to think, I started with Mercy Ships in August 2009. That sounds like a long time! hehe It's been an incredible experience. We had a really fun New year's Eve. We had a wonderful Dinner and then a great fire works show by some of the guys. Then we had a fun family dance party until midnight. At that point the entire valley lit up with fireworks from everyone living there. It was a hearty welcome to the new year and a dignified exit to the old. :)
I've been living in Apples Bosch College, our land base here in South Africa. But I'm back on the ship now! I've been here 9 days now. It is still being worked on, but it's nice to be living here again. It's kinda cool having the experience living on a work in progress; we have no air-conditioning, which has been interesting, though not too bad. and there is no electricity in many places. and everything else is just in a general working state, wires, open portholes, deck heads down, lots of messes etc. I kinda like experiencing the difference of it all to the norm.
I'm working in Reception right now, helping to train some new girls that have just arrived. They are great and I've been enjoying it.
Please keep praying for the completion of the work here. Things are moving but there is still a lot to be done.
We also just went to a big Cricket match in the Moses Mabhida Stadium, where the World Cup was hosted. It was fun to be part of the crowd at this match as it was the largest Cricket match in the entire history of the continent of Africa. The crowd was around 30,000, where others have only been numbers like 5,000 I believe. It was a cool experience. I was a part of history! :) Congratulations India! (India vs. South Africa).
Other than that, there's not a whole lot new to report. Things are slowly moving back to normal here on the ship. It's fun to watch it happen. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment