Friday, August 21, 2009

I've arrived on board the Africa Mercy!!

I am finally here!!! I can't hardley believe it. We arrived about 9:30pm on the 19th. We arrived at reception and filled out embarkation paperwork first thing. Then we went to the cafeteria to eat a late supper. Then we were shown to our cabins. I'm in a 4 birth (meaning 4 persons). My roomies are great! Suzanne, Sandra, Stacey. Then the very next day I began training at 2pm-9pm in reception. I'm so excited and learning a ton. I really enjoy the job. Today was the second day. I am feeling much more comfortable now with all the duties. This morning I was trained on fire panel with some other people. This is the alarm system for the ship in case of emergancies. This is Receptions most important responsibility. I've enjoyed the meals in the cafeteria and finding my way around the ship getting familiar with everything. I've already hunted down a piano and enjoyed that several times. The community on board is so great. it's like a little community. there is always something to do or someone to hang out with. And there are tons of opportunities to go offship on mercy teams. This weekend I am hoping to go to a Psych clinic to visit the patients. And then Tuesday i'm planning to go help with a Jesus film showing. I'm very excited at how this adventure is beginning. And i'm already getting used to a home that rocks constantly. It is so weird to feel yourself always swaying slightly back and forth and looking out the window to see the water come and go with the sway of the ship :) It is all so exciting! I can't believe i live on a ship!!
On arrival abourd ship, we were greeted by Christina, Danae, Jamie, and Kelly screaming and running down the gangway to meet us! I was reunited with all my "Gates Family"! the people I trained with (this is me and Danae). Such a blessing :)
This is me and my room (cabin)

This is what you see on entering our cabin. There are two rooms on the right, each with a bunkbed. I'm in the first. then at the end is a little living area.
Here's the living area...
And from a different angle ;-p
Here is our bathroom (washroom). from left: the white curtain is the shower, toilet, sink. and thats it :D hehe
My room (birth). I'm top bunk :)
my bed
some of the reception crew! I'm already on day two of training!
From left: Heather, James, Me, James (yes another one), Hannah. Such a great team! One of my favorite practices in reception is at the end of each shift. The receptionist who is going off duty prays in the receptionist going on duty. It is so neat!

No comments:

Post a Comment